Oriental rugs are prized possessions that can enhance the appearance of a home with their intricate patterns and vibrant colors. However, these delicate features also make them vulnerable to damage during cleaning. Improper cleaning techniques or stain removal can cause the colors to bleed and deteriorate the rug’s appearance and value. Therefore, it is crucial to take extra care and use appropriate methods when cleaning an oriental rug to maintain its beauty and integrity. Proper maintenance ensures the rug can be cleaned effectively without compromising its design and colors.
Why Rug Bleeding Occurs
There are several factors that can cause color bleeding during the process of oriental rug cleaning. These include:
- Natural dyes that are not colorfast. Oriental rugs made using traditional methods often utilize natural fibers and pigments. However, the natural dyes used may not be long-lasting. Water-soluble dyes are particularly prone to bleeding during cleaning, and specific cleaning methods, such as flooding, can cause significant issues.
- Damaging cleaning methods. Oriental rugs should not be cleaned using dry cleaning or steam cleaning methods, as these can leave behind a residue that causes the dyes to bleed and damage the rug.
- Application of excessive dye. Suppose an excessive amount of dye is used to dye the rug. In that case, extra dye may be washed out during the initial cleaning processes, which may result in contamination of surrounding areas if not stabilized or protected.
- Exposure to alkaline substances or high heat during cleaning. Even if the dyes in the rug are stable, they can still bleed and fade when exposed to high heat or alkaline substances commonly found in cleaning or stain removal products.
- Pet accidents. Corrosive substances like pet urine can cause dyes to bleed before or during cleaning if not promptly and appropriately removed.
Minimize Rug Bleeding
By taking certain precautions, the color bleeding and fading of your oriental rug can be prevented. The following tips from our oriental rug cleaning experts at Chem-Dry of Acadiana will help to minimize the possibility of color bleeding and fading.
- Protect your rug from fading by keeping it out of direct sunlight and using appropriate methods to dry it if it becomes wet.
- Act quickly to prevent staining and bleeding by absorbing as much liquid as possible with white paper towels or a white cloth and then contacting a professional oriental rug cleaner. Avoid using store-bought products as they may harm delicate fibers.
- Keep your rug in top condition by scheduling regular cleaning appointments with our professional team. Our team will analyze your rug to determine the best cleaning approach that preserves its integrity and prevents color bleeding.
Rug Cleaning in Lafayette, LA
If you’re looking for a team of rug cleaning experts in Lafayette, LA, who will respect your rug and keep it in its best shape, give Chem-Dry of Acadiana a call at (337) 233-9444 today! We also offer free price estimates of our services.